Friday, August 31, 2012

Boxing: De La Hoya Considered October Comeback

Boxing
Get the latest headlines from the Boxing GuideSite. // via fulltextrssfeed.com
De La Hoya Considered October Comeback
Aug 31st 2012, 16:59

Former multi-division champ Oscar De La Hoya says he nearly returned to the ring for an Oct. 20 rematch with WBA middleweight beltholder Felix Sturm at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. De La Hoya won a narrow, disputed decision to take Sturm's WBO middleweight belt on June 5, 2004.

Now 39, De La Hoya has been retired since taking a one-sided beating at the hands of a prime Manny Pacquiao on Dec. 6, 2008. Oscar was tempted to return to headline a card he is promoting that will feature a rematch between Danny Garcia and Erik Morales for Garcia's WBA/WBC light welterweight titles. That plan changed as soon as De La Hoya started working out. "I went running, I went training, did that for a few days. But my body couldn't handle it. I'm 39, but I'm an old 39. I think my body went through a lot, went through the wringer. In terms of being inside the ring, getting hit, but also outside the ring, living a crazy life. If I have the desire of coming back, I go and work out, and there goes those plans." When asked if he's now 100% done as a fighter, De La Hoya replied "A million percent".

Good decision Oscar.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

No comments:

Post a Comment